SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#473437 - 07/24/19 11:44 AM An "open mind" discovry.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Even though he wrote many Brill building hits, I never thought much of Niel Sedaka, even though I've done and enjoyed songs like "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" (slow version) and others.

Recently, I ran across the tune "Should Have Never Let You Go", by Neil and his daughter Dara. What a keeper. Dara is beautiful, and really talented. The unspoken affection between the two of them is priceless and to be treasured. I also saw a really bad quality video of Niel with three grandchildren on a stage in Hawaii. Not great music or talent, but the caring smile on the man's face was rally inspiring.

I played the song last night, and it is a song of substance, on all levels.

I think the same about Boz Scagg's "We're All Alone", and Kenny Rankin's "Hiding inside Myself".

Beautiful materiel by people of substance.

I'm so glad that Skaggs and Sedaka got the success they deserved, and sad that Rankin died penniless, never quite getting the widespread recognition he deserved. He was intensely liked by a loyal group of listener; me included.

Right now, this is a real "shot in the arm".

Check it out...

Russ

Also check out "I Miss the Hungry Years" and "Laughter in the Rain". Oh, his first cousin was Eydie Gormet" of Eydie and Steve Laurence fame.

Edited by captain Russ (07/24/19 12:12 PM)

#473449 - 07/25/19 05:11 AM Re: An "open mind" discovry. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gee Russ, in one post you reminded me of two of my favorite songs; 'Breaking up.....", the slow version with tinkling, blues-tinged piano accenting every verse, and (with your mention of Eydie Gormet) the song "Goodbye" ('you take the high road, and I'll take the low....). What great tunes. Hate to sound like an ol' fogie, but 'they don't write 'em like that anymore'.

As far as some of our greatest musicians dying penniless, I don't quite view it like that. What they left the world is infinitely more important, long-lasting, and valuable, than their death-bed bank accounts. Still, you're right in that it would have been nice had they gotten the widespread recognition (and comfortable end-of-life) they deserved.

chas

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online